- Don’t hesitate to bargain whilst buying things on gumtree or when buying second-hand or goods, especially if you’re paying cash.
- Consider using Lay-By for big spend items or during the early Christmas shopping. Lay-by is offered by all the large department stores as well as many small retailers, with items usually held for eight to 10 weeks. Be aware of the inherent risks that go with any kind of deal though. Read this article to know more.
- Use the local library for free Internet, newspapers and books. You can also borrow DVDs from the library.
- Consider making fixed fortnightly payments for utility bills (gas and electricity) based on your average usage to smooth out the payments. Some companies even offer discounts on the bill amount if you choose direct debit modes. Go to Energymadeeasy, a government initiative to compare service providers in your suburb and to get the best deals.
- Check out free and low-cost recreation options in your city. All cities have a council websites where all upcoming events are posted. Free events are generally mentioned separately. Here is an example of Top free things to do in Brisbane City.
MIGRANT NINJA TIP – Not happy with 5 tips? How about 101 budgeting tips to save big $$$ in Australia? Grab my book Aussie Migrant: Money for the Ebook store now!