Demographic Statistics (for June 2015 Quarter) -ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics)

Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 17/12/2015   

 Interesting Fact - Natural increase accounted for 47 per cent of this growth, with the remaining 53 per cent the result of net overseas migration.

ESTIMATED RESIDENT POPULATION

  • The preliminary estimated resident population (ERP) of Australia at 30 June 2015 was 23,781,200 people. This reflects an increase of 317,100 people since 30 June 2014, and 72,900 people since 31 March 2015.
  • The preliminary estimate of natural increase recorded for the year ended 30 June 2015 (148,900 people) was 5.1%, or 8,100 people lower than the natural increase recorded for the year ended 30 June 2014 (157,000 people).
  • The preliminary estimate of net overseas migration (NOM) recorded for the year ended 30 June 2015 (168,200 people) was 11.4%, or 21,600 people lower than the net overseas migration recorded for the year ended 30 June 2014 (189,800 people).



POPULATION GROWTH RATES

  • Australia's population grew by 1.4% during the year ended 30 June 2015.
  • Natural increase and NOM contributed 47% and 53% respectively to total population growth for the year ended 30 June 2015.
  • All states and territories recorded positive population growth in the year ended 30 June 2015.
  • Victoria recorded the highest growth rate of all states and territories at 1.7%. Tasmania recorded the lowest growth rate at 0.4%.

 

Watch the Demography Video by ABS -  http://www.abs.gov.au/videos/221-1215-001/3101.0%20June%202015%202015.html

SOURCE : Australian Bureau of Statistics June 2015, ‘3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Jun 2015’, viewed 13 March 2016, http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/3101.0

Adventurer, Writer and Backpacker Jason is a recent migrant to Australia. He has created the Migrant Ninja Series as a platform to guide all future migrants to Australia!