The  Department of Human Services ( is responsible for the development of service delivery policy and provide access to social, health and other payments and services.

On 26 October 2004,it were created as part of the Finance and Administration portfolio. The Human Services Legislation Amendment Act 2011 integrated Medicare Australia and Centrelink into the Department of Human Services on 1 July 2011.

They also offer support for new arrivals to Australia.

Below is an outline of services offered.

As a new arrival, you could be entitled to payments and services from the Australian Government. What you can get depends on your residence status. Waiting periods and other conditions may apply.

The department also provide payments to support new arrivals who are experiencing hardship. Crisis Payment is a one-off payment that helps those who have experienced difficult or extreme circumstances.

Special Benefit is a payment that helps people who are in severe financial need because of reasons outside their control and who cannot receive any other Centrelink pension or benefit.

To help you learn English you may be eligible for a referral to the Adult Migrant English Program or the Skills for Education and Employment program if you need assistance with your language, literacy or numeracy skills.

An Assurance of Support is a commitment to support a person applying to migrate to Australia, so that the migrant will not have to rely on income support payments.

They also provide free interpreters to help you with information about our payments and services. Interpreters can be requested anytime you call, book an appointment or visit them.

The Multicultural Service Officers work with community groups and other agencies to help refugees and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds link up with Australian Government services.

You can also call the multilingual phone service on 131 202 and speak to someone in your language about income support payments and services.

For help with Medicare or Child Support services in your language call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450.

Other government and community support services
There are a range of government and community organisations that provide support services and information you may find helpful.

MoneySmartThe MoneySmart website has information to help you make the most of your money. Visit the Budget planner section on the MoneySmart website. connects you to information and services across Australia including information on living in Australia.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.

Once you are eligible to work in Australia, visit the Australian JobSearch website to look for employment opportunities within Australia. Jobsearch is a free online jobs website with job vacancies across all industries and regions with Australia.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection provides access to a range of information about Australian visas and Australian citizenship including links to useful resources and support services.

Article Source - Department of Human Services